Position: Senior Accountant
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Senior Accountant (SA) is an integral member of the finance team who works closely with and reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The SA is a critical link between the department’s fiscal responsibilities and all contributors to the organization’s financial activities, both internal and external. The SA supports the CFO in agency oversight of contractual matters, proposals, programs, account checks and balances, and general financial activity of all departments. This is a highly visible role internally within the Alliance that is engaged in day-to-day operations and leads collaborative projects to improve user experiences across systems and processes.
This role would suit an individual of outstanding ability who is highly motivated, detail-oriented, and who has at least 4 years’ experience in the CDFI industry supporting complex financial accounting systems.
RESPONSIBLITIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages both directly and with supervision, the processing of all accounting transactions, which is supported by a detailed set of policies, procedures forms, and documentation. These accounting transactions include general ledger, funder and grant management, and payroll; processing accounts payable/vendor payments; and ensuring overall contract compliance.
- Process accounts receivable payments and record deposits, ensuring appropriate backup documentation accompanies each transaction.
- Manage ACH payments and schedule.
- Conduct account research and analysis for discrepancies .
- Prepares and/or generates financial statements for all programs by funding sources.
- Prepare and maintain various balance sheet schedules and documentation including but not limited to the following: fixed assets, depreciation, and amortization for audit purposes.
- Maintain a compliance tracker report for grants.
- Draft grant budgets and prepare budget justifications.
- Prepare and process monthly grant/fund invoices.
- Works closely with the program team to identify gaps between projected expenses and secured revenue and long-term financial planning.
- Prepare standard monthly journal entries.
- Analyze general ledger data and prepare summaries as needed by the CFO.
- Work closely with the Black Renaissance Fund (BRF) Director to monitor loans and ensure timely reports, payments, and other requirements.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts, bank accounts, and credit card statements identifying and solving any discrepancies.
- Reconcile accounts across multiple funds, departments, programs, and platforms.
- Prepare financial reports for institutional funders (foundations and government agencies).
- Assist CFO with month-end Financial Statements preparation.
- Assist the CFO with the organization’s annual budget preparation.
- Assist CFO with annual internal and external organization and program audits.
- Performs other duties and tasks, as assigned.
- Maintains a complete filing system for all vendor contracts, tracking expiration dates and deliverables.
- Assists the Membership Services Department with member dues receivables and payments.
DESIRED COMPETENCIES AND ABILITIES:
- Understanding of and ability to apply GAAP accounting standards and procedures, internal controls, and applicable Federal and State rules and regulations.
- Ability to confidently review and verify mathematical calculations, maintain accurate accounting records, and identify and reconcile errors.
- Experience performing and coordinating a variety of professional accounting functions.
- Proven ability to consistently comply with accounting and human resources regulations, policies, and standards.
- Strong understanding of data management principles with experience preparing financial statements, reports, and dashboards.
- Ability to assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands.
- History of establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be able to manage competing priorities and demonstrate strong attention to detail, while remaining flexible to changing assignments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including adapting communication styles to the audience.
- Must be a self-starter; ability to meet designated deadlines is also a critical qualification.
- Comfortable using general office software, particularly Microsoft Office Suite, and accounting software packages, including QuickBooks and Aplos.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, or another related field.
- 5+ years of work experience in nonprofit/fund accounting and financial management, with established policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of nonprofit/fund accounting.
- 5+ years of managing accounting and budgeting systems and procedures, enforcing internal controls, and following Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) standards.
- Well-qualified candidates will have experience using accounting software (APLOS. QuickBooks, Financial Edge, etc.) related to financial operations.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. The team member profile does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the employer’s needs and requirements of the job change.
Please provide a cover letter and resume via email to: [email protected]
About the African American Alliance of CDFI CEOs.
The Alliance is a membership-driven intermediary organization that aims to: build the capacity of member organizations; build bridges to economic stability, well-being, and wealth for Black individuals, families, and communities; and build power in Black communities by challenging and influencing financial sectors to operate more equitably.